R4i 10: The closing event for the 10th cohort of the Research for Impact Initiative unfolded in spectacular fashion at Innov8 Hub. This initiative of TETFund and Innov8 Hub is poised to revolutionize the Nigerian academia. By equipping academics and researchers with the tools, resources, and expertise needed to transform research into real-world solutions, R4i seamlessly aligns with global best practices.
R4i 10 was a hybrid edition, bringing together academics and researchers from government-owned universities and polytechnics across Nigeria.
R4i 10 Closing Event: A Prelude to Excellence
A day before the culmination of R4i 10, participants gathered to share their transformative experiences. Prof. Ocheme Ocheme Boniface from F.U.T, Minna, expressed his satisfaction, saying, “Having participated in R4i, I have no regrets whatsoever. The founders, staff, and instructors here know what they are doing.” Dr. Onyegbuchulem Besta Okey from Imo State Polytechnic, praised the unparalleled connections fostered within the program. In his words, “This program has changed my approach to my work.” Dr. Adebimpe Omolayo Esan from Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, shared her newfound insight, remarking, “R4i has been incredibly insightful. Before this, I knew little about innovation and educational technology, but now I understand the concept of innovation.”
R4i 10: A Grand Closing
The closing event for R4i 10 took place on September 8th, 2023. Dr. Obichi Obiajunwa, the Chief Facilitator of the R4i Initiative, set the stage with his opening remarks. A captivating recap video of R4i played on the screen, leaving all attendees in awe. The representative of the Executive Secretary of the NBTE then took the stage, expressing delight in the participants’ remarkable achievements.. He went further to pledge support from NBTE for enhancing technical education in tertiary institutions nationwide.
The highlight of the event was the eagerly awaited video pitches from all five teams at R4i 10:
- TEAM Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure: They introduced “BuildMinder,” an innovative system harnessing building data to create an AI predictive model for early detection of structural issues, ensuring timely maintenance and comprehensive quality analysis.
- TEAM Zero Hunger: Their innovation, “Exclusafe,” is an innovative breast milk storage bag that maintains breast milk at a specified temperature, guaranteeing safety and nutritional integrity.
- TEAM Quality Education: Their innovation, “Student’s Virtual Support Services,” promises to revolutionize virtual support services, elevating them to unprecedented levels of quality and accessibility.
- TEAM Good Health & Well-Being: They unveiled “Smartbetes,” a meal-planner app for diabetic patients employing advanced machine learning algorithms to suggest recipes based on location, dietary preferences, and available ingredients.
- TEAM Affordable and Clean Energy: Their creation, “Pinfrarac,” not only detects suspicious activity around power infrastructures but also triggers alarms to alert nearby individuals to potential acts of vandalism.
R4i 10: Conclusion
The closing event concluded with a closing remark delivered by His Excellency, Mr. Edward Singhatey, on behalf of Innov8 Hub. He urged participants to continue innovating and creating value that benefits the academic ecosystem and the nation as a whole.
R4i remains at the forefront of transforming research and development within academia. It spearheads a paradigm shift from researching for ideas to researching for impact. Join us in this transformative journey.